Oprah!!! Oprah makes the paranormal news this week!
1. Oprah Winfrey is one of 15 stars in the Harper’s Bazaar 2015 icons, photographed as Glinda the Good Witch. Actress Dakota Johnson is also photographed as Aphrodite wearing a black scuba suit and riding a skateboard, which I frankly think ruins the whole archetype, but… whatever. Kids these days.
2. And in more entertainment news, Patricia Arquette has been cast to voice a witch in the upcoming film Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr. Wait, what? There’s a new Harry Potter movie coming out? How did I miss that? I’m a bit afraid this will this be like those Star Wars prequels, embarrassments to the franchise. But I do like Patricia Arquette. Medium! Yea! So you go girl.
3. Police say the Pensacola Blue Moon murders are related to witchcraft. There aren’t a lot of details in this story. The article mentions Wicca, but I have a hard time imagining Wicca was involved, since it’s a fairly peaceful religion with it’s “do no harm” philosophy. I’m going to guess the culprit was some crazed occultist, but we’ll have to wait and see.
4. There’s been another sighting of the South Carolina lizard man/swamp monster. Swamp monsters!!! Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them?
5. The drought in the American west is exposing a ghost town, normally submerged beneath Lake Mead. No word on whether there are any actual ghosts in residence.
Other books in the Riga Hayworth series of urban fantasies include: The Metaphysical Detective, The Alchemical Detective, The Shamanic Detective, The Infernal Detective and The Elemental Detective. Kirsten is also the author of Steam and Sensibility and Of Mice and Mechanicals, steampunk novels of magick and suspense.